Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Quirky? Yep!



Interview with Bridget Straub
I'm so intrigued by Bridget Straub's characters. Read on and you'll be too.

Tell us a little about yourself.

I have been writing for as long as I can remember. I have a very vivid imagination that helps to pass the quieter times of my day and I love to draw and paint, although that is clearly not my expertise. I have three beautiful children, and live in Los Angeles where great weather and inspiration abound.

What genre do you write in?

I write in the here and now. I guess it could be called contemporary fiction or chick lit, or even women’s fiction, but I find those to be limiting terms. I mean guys have read my books and found themselves caught up in the stories just the same as women, and chick lit sounds like fluff to me.

Do your books have a central theme?

Overall, I think they do. Family is a strong subject, as is the struggle to make sense of the relationships and situations we find ourselves in. I try to tap into the humor that exists even when things seem bleak because I think our sanity is maintained in those funny moments.

What books have you published?

“Searching for My Wand”   Glenda was named (incorrectly) after Glinda the Good Witch and therefore, subconsciously, has spent her entire life trying to live up to the reputation of a fictional character.

 “On a Hot August Afternoon”   Stacey is an artist with a rock star husband, Pete, whom she loves with all of her heart. With two young children, and the financial security to pursue her career only when it suits her to do so, she and the kids are about to join her in-laws at the family compound in beautiful South Lake Tahoe for her sister in-law’s wedding. There, she’ll be reunited with Pete, who has been out on the road with his band for several weeks. However, she is blindsided when she goes to her mailbox and discovers an envelope of photographs, explicit photographs of her husband and another woman. Suddenly, she’s left questioning everything she thought she knew about the man she never meant to fall in love with.

Have you published traditionally or are you self-published?

I have chosen to self-publish. I considered going the traditional route, but after much research concluded that with the amount of material I have, this was the way to get my work seen sooner rather than later.

What has been the biggest challenge in self-publishing?

Without a doubt it has been marketing. I have been blessed with really great reviews, but getting the word out when you have little to no budget has been difficult. It requires hours and hours of work and a fair amount of patience. Patience is not something that comes easily to me.

What is next for you?

I am in the process of preparing my next novel, “The Salacious Marny Ottwiler” for publication, and I am also trying to come up with the best way to raise funds to mount a production of my musical “Room to Grow”.

Do you have any advice for other writers?

Don’t be discouraged by the current state of the publishing industry. It takes a relentless determination to get published regardless of which route you take, but the rewards can be exhilarating.

____________________________



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. I treasure each and every word, so please leave one or two.